Monday, September 7, 2009

Not done *yet*, but...

I sprung for a Linode 540 account. I copied RC over, and have been tuning everything all evening. The new VPS server is serving up 5-7Mb/s to my stress testing. Of dynamically-generated pages.

Points of interest:

  • 540MB of RAM.
  • memcached -k -m128M
  • php5-xcache
  • Tuned MySQL parameters
  • The site's code is on a tmpfs mount
  • Not using Squid
  • My stress testing was done from a connection capped at 6Mb/s
  • My stress testing was eight concurrent runs of wget -m --spider http://hostname

Kinda pleased.

Still have to set up all the subdomains, but the site should run a lot faster once I'm ready to switch DNS over. I'm also spending most of my CPU time in system, and that's coming from the apache forked processes (post-fork, mind you). I haven't figured out why.

You might have noticed the mention of tmpfs...I had a lot of spare RAM. I have a hard upper limit on the number of running forked PHP processes, an upper limit on memcached, and MySQL doesn't seem to be able to be coaxed into keeping its M_DRS memory resident. So I had about 300MB of RAM used for file cache.

Since I don't need to change the PHP files often, losing the contents of the tmpfs mount in an outage isn't a major concern, and I can cron an rsync to disk.

No comments:

Post a Comment