Friday, February 12, 2010

Why having been a tutor does not mean you communicate well.

I tutored computer subjects in community college for about five years. I figured that being able to teach people how to do things in one-on-one sessions made me a good communicator.

It didn't, and doesn't.

As a tutor, my chief strategy was to provide the student with all the bits and pieces of information required to build an understanding of what they were trying to do, but to systematically avoid actually connecting the dots for them. I found that that system worked very well for the students who wanted an understanding, not just a grade. (Which of those two types of students were normally the ones to come in for tutoring is a topic best avoided.)

It's only taken me three years of real-world experience to realize that while that coworkers aren't students, and I need to explain my thought process, rather than teach it.

In fact, that's probably a good habit to get into outside of work, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment