Saturday, October 10, 2009

And he slides to fail plate.

My new motherboard has some odd quirks. Like not being able to boot from SATA optical drives. And not being able to automagically boot from USB flash drives.

Instead, I had to tell the BIOS to emulate a hard disk interface for the USB flash drive, and then I had to remove the in-system SATA disk drive from the boot options, as it would bump the SATA disk to earlier in the boot attempt order. (And, apparently, that disk had an old GRUB MBR on it, so the BIOS thought everything was peachy keen...)

So I wound up eventually booting from the flash drive and installing my OS, with boot, root and swap partitions, and then it was time to install grub.

Wait a second...grub requires addressing based on the BIOS device listing order, and the device listings were currently out of whack because of an emulated disk and a temporarily-attached IDE disk.

I looked at grub's device.map, moved things around to how I thought the BIOS would map them after I removed the flash drive and IDE drive, and proceeded.

Ultimately, I rebooted, grub found my kernel (meaning I'd guessed the mappings correctly), and then...kernel panic.

I'd told grub that the root filesystem was on the swap partition.

No comments:

Post a Comment