Saturday, October 3, 2009

Going to try to quite caffeine

So I've been irritable, angry, frustrated, stressed, bitter, impatient, unhappy and generally unpleasant to be around for the past several months, and it's grown worse in the last couple months. Part of it is workload, part of it is other stressors, but one likely significant factor has been that to cope with things, I've slept less, consumed more caffeine, and socialized even less.

There are a number of things I'm going to do to work on turning things around, but one significant one is going to be changing what I drink. I haven't drank sugared beverages for years, but I've generally drank caffienated ones, and this year switched things into higher gear with diet Mountain Dew instead of my normal diet cola, and consumed a greater volume of such syrup-formed goods in general.

I'm going to try cutting all of that out. I might allow sugar-sweetened drinks once in a while (the Sobe drinks are pretty good; My two favorites are the Green Tea and Lava flavored ones), but not often. And if you think it's hard finding a variety of diet sodas at restaurants of various types, try finding diet sodas without caffeine there.

I'm also looking at other "natural" remedies such as eating better and ensuring consumption of certain vitamins. (No, I won't be going on a vitamin B binge like I did with vitamin C before AWA. I would note, though that my roommate and carpooler for that trip got knocked out sick for a week and a half while I've been merely stressed out.

Quitting caffeine is going to be tricky. I already know I have a dependency; I get nasty headaches if I don't have any for a couple days. (And the only other kind of headache I occasionally get is dehydration) Started having one again Friday. Took an aspirin and it went away.

No comments:

Post a Comment