Wednesday, May 6, 2009

So everyone in the building thinks I'm gay...

Went to lunch with a couple coworkers, had a pleasant conversation with the waitress.

As we left, one coworker remarked "That's just the kind of girl I could see Mike dating."

Then the two guys I went to lunch with started arguing about what constitutes "spastic".

Then we got back to the office, and the debate about spasticism arose again, and I had to explain the context to the coworker that didn't go along to lunch. I flubbed, "and then X said, 'That's just the kind of guy I could see Mike marrying.'"

It was not a Freudian slip, I swear. (I use 'guy' as gender neutral, most of the time, and I remembered him saying 'marry', but that's probably because I think about marriage more than I think about dating.) Nevertheless, X and the coworker who actually said the original line, and another coworker who was in the room busted out laughing. My boss only hears snatches of the conversation, so I had to walk over and explain what had been said.

My boss, of course, exclaims, "So you want to marry that guy?" I'm already bent over because I'm laughing so hard, but I look over, and, at that exact moment, the owner and manager of the building had just walked in. I'm not sure it ever got fully explained to her.

I swear, if someone were to write that as a comedy skit, they'd be in poor taste for laying the gags on too deep. But that's the way it went down...

No comments:

Post a Comment