Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Well, that about wraps it up for Ubuntu.

Figuring "Well, I got my laptop working again. I know what I'll run into. I know how to fix it. May as well go ahead on the desktop", I logged into GNOME and started the upgrade on my desktop Sunday night. When I woke up, it was asking if I wanted to replace a configuration file. Fine, whatever, I'm used to those questions. So I hit a couple keys to wake and re-pair my Bluetooth keyboard, and then go to click on "Yes".

Nothing happens. Can't get the keyboard to re-pair. Fine.

Plug in the USB keyboard and mouse. Still nothing. Ok...X locked up?

Ctrl-Alt-F1. Got a console VT tty. Great. Log in, kill a couple GNOME applets. Switch back to X. See dialogs for "(applet) ended unexpectedly, would you like to restart?" Still can't provide input, but I know that the video output side of X works, but the input side doesn't. Great.

So, right now, my desktop system at home is stuck with the dpkg database locked, half-way through the installation of upgrade packages from 8.10 to 9.04, and X isn't accepting keyboard or mouse input.

Now, I can still salvage the situation; I could probably use x2x to let my laptop control my desktop's screen, and finish the upgrade. Or I could spawn the vino configuration tool with DISPLAY redirected to my laptop, configure gino to allow VNC access, and then control the desktop that way.

I might still salvage it. But only long enough to make a complete backup, and throw the OS out the bit bucket. 99% of folks who use Ubuntu would not be able to weasel their way out of a UI lockup like that without installing fresh from CD. I understand they're short on beta testers, but when I asked around on IRC Monday morning, I was told that it was a known problem with the upgrade. And this is what they ship?! "Release" is not supposed to be alpha condition. And my desktop hardware isn't even uncommon. (Well, except perhaps that I was using Bluetooth for kbd/mouse)

I'm definitely switching. Taking my time, reading up on Arch, Gentoo, Mandriva, MEPIS. Screw Ubuntu. And then hit it with a hammer for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment