Sunday, May 10, 2009

So I'm running Gentoo.

I was going to go with Arch, but when it came down to it, a guy I'm constantly running into on IRC offered to walk me through the Gentoo side of things. Which is essentially how I wound up getting started in Linux ten years ago, albeit with Debian.*

And "running" might be a strong word. I'm still getting things set up. But, honestly, it's not significantly harder than jumping head-first into a GUI-less Debian install was ten years ago. At least I'm not coming from a DOS/Win16/Win95 background this time...

No, I'm not saying Gentoo is less advanced that Debian was ten years ago. Well, maybe with some of the package management. But that's just a case of helping the bullet get to where you pointed the gun.

I'm sure that after I've run this for six or twelve months, I'll be so accustomed to it that it won't be an issue for me. And I can give it try for at least that long...

* Technically, I started with Red Hat 5.4, but since everyone I knew IRL ran Debian, I switched so that I could have some human support.

No comments:

Post a Comment